This course focuses on the role of writing in child welfare, refreshing foundational composition rules and tools, and writing reports for the court.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Better apply the composition rules for professional writing
- Better understand the distinctions between writing in the legal setting vs. other styles of writing
- Analyze the special requirements of writing detention, jurisdiction, and disposition reports
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to distinguish fact from opinion and how to incorporate both appropriately and effectively
- Integrate third party information into report writing (e.g., harm and danger statements/risk and safety analysis, and providers reports)
Note: Participants are encouraged to submit a brief writing sample (2-3 paragraphs, redacted of any identifying information) in advance of the class; the instructor will provide feedback.