This workshop examines the developmental issues of adolescence, the impact of foster care, and strategies for helping teens, parents and care providers cope with adolescence.
- Recent research on adolescent brain development
- Drug and alcohol use
- Sexuality and associated risks: pregnancy, HIV and AIDS
- Self-destructive behavior or suicide
- Value conflicts in the birth home and in foster care
- Aggressive and passive aggressive behavior
- Confrontational styles
- Strategies for involving the teen in decision making
- Independent living skills program and emancipation
Participants develop skills to help adolescents resolve problems and move toward forming their own identities.