This institute is designed to provide participants with the foundational skills and the confidence needed to design, develop and deliver dynamic trainings. The program incorporates adult learning principles and instructional design theories into curriculum development and delivery. Participants will also learn how to add relevant and effective interactions, exercises and/or activities to new or existing curricula to engage participants and identify ways to transfer learning to implementation.
Session 1: Training Design and Development
This workshop helps trainers sharpen their training skills and integrate training into other leadership responsibilities. The purpose of the design phase is to identify the learning objectives that together will achieve the overall goals identified during the needs assessment phase of systematic training design. Participants will also identify the learning activities (or methods) needed to conduct and achieve learning objectives and overall training goals. Participants in this workshop will learn how to train effectively in formal and informal settings and how training relates to performance and process issues.
- Assessing the training needs and setting training objectives
- Understanding adult learning concepts
- Planning training sessions
- Creating training activities and visual aids
- Developing short-term and long-term training plans
Session 2: Training Strategies and Techniques
The training experience can be dull, uninformative and a waste of time and money for participants and trainers alike. This experiential workshop helps trainers overcome obstacles and make the most of their efforts. Participants will develop new training skills and learn how to enhance strengths and diminish weaknesses in the training experience.
- Turning learning objectives into realistic lesson plans
- Communicating verbally and nonverbally and understanding different types of communication
- Creating interest through high impact visuals
- Developing interactive learning activities
- Evaluating presentation techniques
Session 3: Transfer of Learning
This workshop draws on research and practice in workplace learning as a system-wide, ongoing process rather than an event. Participants will be able to identify opportunities and activities to promote transfer of learning before, during and after training.
- Factors that impact transfer of learning
- The role of supervisors in transfer of learning
- Leveraging pre-and post-training activities and opportunities
- Delivery methods that promote transfer of learning
Session 4: Facilitation Skills
This workshop supports skill development in the area of training and facilitation, and will connect to skills and participant knowledge developed in prior modules. Participants will learn how to effectively engage their participants and identify ways to transfer learning to implementation.
- Describing a variety of common facilitation strategies
- Exploring engagement techniques
- Practicing strategies to improve participation