Module 1: Leading Staff: Labor Law Compliance & Challenging Behaviors
Participants will be introduced to labor law with a focus on supervisor rights and obligations. Participants will explore labor law compliance as they work with challenging behaviors. Because of the complexity of employment relationships and the wide variety of situations that can arise, participants will be provided an overview of labor law requirements and techniques to best accomplish the goals of the department while improving the performance of employees with challenging behaviors.
- Historical overview and key components to labor law
- Identifying legal aspects required in performance management
- Building awareness of legal basis for discipline
- Preventive, corrective and adverse action
- Defining fair and impartial supervision
Module 2: The Supervisor’s Role in Managing Diversity
Participants will focus on understanding and defining the supervisory role in managing diversity and creating inclusive environments in the workplace. We will explore work group issues related to culture and diversity. This workshop will provide opportunities for participants to identify methods to increase effective multicultural communication.
- Exploring culture and diversity
- Looking at generational differences
- Considering diversity in the organization
- Connecting diversity in the organization
- Leading and modeling intentional inclusion in the workplace
Module 3: Managing Change & Managing Up in the Supervisory Role
Participants will focus on the importance of the leader’s role in change management. This is accomplished through examining types of organizational changes and the way staff and organizations react, as well as models that illustrate various impacts of change. This module also incorporates techniques for effectively “managing up.” Through analyzing these concepts, participants can develop an enhanced understanding of their influence related to leading the people and the processes of change.
- Identifying types of changes within the workplace
- Understanding the adoption of organizational change
- Building awareness of managing up from the supervisory role
- Applying change management models and techniques for managing up
- Examining how to effectively manage complex change
- Exploring your influence as a leader in change management
Module 4: Time Management & Effective Meetings for Supervisors
Participants will identify how to effectively protect and prioritize their time while balancing the needs of their organization and their teams. This module will focus on the importance of effective time management, successful delegation as a means of building capacity and supporting time management, and planning for and facilitating meaningful meetings. Each of these supervisory principles intersect with other leadership tasks and responsibilities; through focused, intentional efforts and planning, supervisors can effectively develop their teams while modeling effective time and task management.
- Assessing how we prioritize our time in the workplace
- Evaluating how to effectively manage your time
- Identifying the steps to successful delegation in human services
- Preparing for leading effective meetings
- Understanding how to facilitate group dynamics within meetings
- Applying models and resources to help delegate and manage your time
Module 5: Wellness at Work: Stress Management and Self-Care
Participants will focus on the importance of balance, effective stress management, burnout prevention and compassion fatigue within their role as a human services supervisor. The overall goal of this workshop seeks to support the supervisor in effective stress management and self-care, while modeling these essential wellness behaviors for the teams they lead. Practical content and techniques for helping professionals that support well-being at work are incorporated.
- Stress and burnout in the field of supervision
- Understanding models for wellness & stress management
- Identifying effective stress management techniques
- Exploring the concept of emotional first aid
- Examining the importance of practicing effective self-care