Youth in placement are more successful when their families are engaged with their placement experiences, their case plan, and have frequent and meaningful visitation. Probation officers are required to have face-to-face contact with parents and it is an opportunity to engage them in this critical contribution to the youth’s successful return to their family and community.
- Enhance techniques for engaging immediate and extended family members
- Build on the strengths and needs of the family and youth
- Increase rapport and empathy
- Utilize the case plan as the focus for interactions with the family
- Effectively engage families of various backgrounds
- Educate the family about the juvenile justice process
After the training, participants will have greater competence at making their relationship with family a partnership that has positive outcomes for the youth and family.