Advances in the neurosciences have increased our understanding of how the practices of mindfulness and meditation positively affect the human brain and body. This workshop will focus on Mindfulness, defined as present-centered awareness and focused attention, has been practiced for thousands of years. Data shows that mindfulness creates improved cognitive flexibility and alertness, focus, attention, compassion, empathy and emotional stability. Additionally, workplace research is demonstrating that mindfulness significantly increases employee engagement, satisfaction and team effectiveness. Participants will be introduced to the science behind mindfulness practices and meditation. The day will also include a guided mindfulness meditation.
- Increasing understanding of the clinical ramifications of work stress, burnout and secondary trauma as well as other symptomatology in the clinical methodologies to create optimal brain function.
- Recognizing the benefits of mindfulness practices.
- Identifying the major brain regions involved in these practices.
- Understanding the biochemistry, physiology and clinical aspects of mindfulness.
- Gaining appreciation in adding the power of mindfulness practices to their self-care and building resilience toolbox.
- Examining the connection between mindfulness practices and the biochemistry, physiology and clinical aspects of their personal health and well-being.
- Experiencing guided mindful exercises as well as a meditation practice.