Motivational interviewing is an integrated and complex set of skills and strategies based on the principles of self-sufficiency and collaboration. The purpose of the training is to introduce learners to the principles and practices of Motivational Interviewing, and their application in case management. Goals include expanding participants’ understanding and use of motivation theory, introducing and building confidence in the use of Motivational Interviewing strategies, and beginning to build competence in the application of a variety of helping skills in the use of Motivational Interviewing.
- Understand motivation theory and apply it to working with customers.
- Learn the principles and strategies of motivational interviewing.
- Practice using different MI strategies.
- Recognize and facilitate the use of “change talk.”
- Learn coaching strategies and skills.
- Practice Active and Reflective Listening.
- Apply Motivational Interviewing, Active and Reflective Listening, and Coaching