Symptoms of mental illnesses may result in behaviors that can put consumers and others at risk of harm or other negative outcomes. This course, for providers in clinic and community settings, addresses assessment and response to behaviors such as suicidal ideation and acts, violent and threatening behaviors, intoxication and poor impulse control.
- Assessing suicidal, violent, threatening and other challenging behaviors
- Assuring safety for clients, providers and others
- Establishing and maintaining a relationship
- De-escalating potentially dangerous situations
- Accessing community resources
- Managing countertransference reactions
Course participants develop skills for assessing and addressing potentially harmful behaviors of their clients while maintaining the safety of clients, themselves and others.