Participants must have attended the Impact of Parental Incarceration on Children and Families in Care course on May 9, 2019 to participate in this field trip. After a morning visit to Sacramento California State Prison, participants will debrief the visit and discuss tools needed to facilitate a visit between a child and an incarcerated parent. A boxed lunch will be provided to all who attend.
By attending this field trip, participants will gain:
- Enhanced understanding of the technical requirements of visiting a prison
- Increased awareness and comfort with the prison visit room climate and room set-up
- Renewed understanding of best practices regarding visitation between foster children and incarcerated parents
- Renewed understanding of the Children of Incarcerated Parents Bill of Rights
- Increased awareness of their own biases, beliefs and assumptions surrounding incarcerated parents