Module 1: Foundation Essentials: Values and Ethics
Effective use of the Shulman Interactional Helping Skills is crucial to engaging families to meet the needs of children/youth involved in the child welfare system. This training introduces participants to the four phases of the casework process as well as associated Interactional Helping Skills. Participants will have the opportunity to practice the skills of Tuning into Self, Tuning into others, Clarifying Purpose, Function, and Role, and Dealing with Issues of Authority. Using these skills, participants will be able to successfully break down barriers to engagement and will learn techniques for managing hostile or angry situations.
This foundational module introduces the importance of values, ethics and upholding the public trust in human services. Steps to making ethical decisions are reviewed and applied to scenarios in the field. Participants will identify their core values and examine the relationship between values, ethics and character. Participants will also be introduced to the Ethical Standards for Human Services Professionals.
- Defining values and ethics
- Understanding the values and ethics within the helping profession
- Becoming familiar with the six pillars of character
- Understanding the steps for making ethical decisions
- Understanding values-driven customer service
- Examining the Ethical Standards for Human Services Professionals
Module 2: Time Management
This module will examine how trust and credibility are built through effective time management. Participants will review activity versus productivity, the importance of dependability and punctuality, and tools to help identify how they can improve their productivity. The relationship between time management and professional success is also explored.
- Making connections between time management and professional success
- Reviewing time management styles
- Identifying effective time management techniques
- Exploring common time-wasters and how to avoid them
- Identifying how to overcome procrastination
Module 3: Customer Service
This module will ask participants to identify who their customers are. Professional techniques to improve service delivery for various types of customers will be reviewed. The concept of using courtesy to build rapport and practical examples are examined. Participants will also learn interviewing skills to support dealing effectively with challenging behaviors.
- Defining who our customers are
- Identifying how to meet customer needs and exceed expectations
- Understanding elements of excellent customer service in practice
- Identifying tips for effective customer service in challenging situations
- Understanding values-driven customer service delivery
Module 4: Navigating Change
This module helps participants identify how they process and navigate change within their roles – and whether this is effective. Change will be defined and reframed, and the dynamics of change will also be discussed. Participants will examine the process of personal change and the transitions that occur. Models to support effective change management will also be reviewed.
- Understanding the process of change
- Understanding how to identify opportunities within change
- Exploring how attitude and communication affect change
- Developing an awareness related to associated transitions
- Becoming familiar with models to support change management
Module 5: Conflict Management
This module brings awareness to the types of conflict management styles, and it challenges participants to reframe conflict as a source of growth and opportunity. Participants will examine the role of communication in conflict, as well as gain tools to help clarify and manage conflict. This module also offers insight and practical guidance on how to build better peer relationships through effectively managing conflict.
- How to create and maintain effective working relationships
- Understanding how communication can prevent misunderstandings
- Understanding what causes conflict
- Exploring types of conflict management styles
- Building positive relationships with others
Module 6: Effective Written and Oral Communication
This module will allow participants to gain self-awareness related to their preferred communication style, and it will examine how they can best communicate with varied styles. Generational communication preferences will be introduced and discussed. Participants will make connections between varied forms of communication and professional credibility.
- Developing an Awareness of how Effective Communication Improves Relationships
- Understanding Characteristics of Effective Listening
- Understanding Different types of Communication Styles
- Examining Generational Differences in Communication
- Enhancing Core Written and Verbal Communication Skills
- Identifying Action Steps to Improving Communication