This workshop explores the psychological effects of maltreatment at various stages of development as well as implications for placement. Participants will gain an understanding of the dynamics that underlie challenging behaviors in children they serve and learn how to formulate effective intervention plans.
- Developing awareness of how abuse and neglect interrupt brain development
- Understanding of Failure-to-thrive syndrome and possible causes
- Increased understanding of the "parentified" child and how to best support them
- Recognizing the core issues associated with the effects of child maltreatment
- Developing an informed approach in supporting work with acting-out behavior
- Enhancing understanding of disturbances of mood in maltreated children