Although long suspected, the connection between domestic violence and child abuse is established. This workshop helps child welfare workers increase responsiveness to domestic violence situations and the needs of all family members. Participants will gain an understanding of domestic violence and its relationship to child abuse--and improve their ability to assess and intervene in domestic violence situations.
- Becoming familiar with the dynamics of domestic violence
- Understanding the connection between domestic violence and child abuse
- Developing a safety plan that is family centered
- Strengthening their skills in assessing risk to children in domestic violence situations
- Assessing the risk of homicide or suicide
- Preparing for interviewing victims of domestic violence
- Identifying the role of a social worker and service provisions for Child Welfare interventions