In the field of social services, it can sometimes be challenging to shift from deficit-based models of practice to strengths-based conversations, assessments and plans. Social Work practice has historically focused on the problems and pathology of the family; this workshop focuses instead on skills central to a strengths-based approach to serving the family. Participants can expect this workshop to offer practical tools that will help families identify their own strengths, while establishing hope in their future.
- Defining strengths with the families they work with.
- Building awareness of strategies to establish rapport.
- Recognizing strength-based questions for a solution-focused approach.
- Familiarizing with Resources, Options, Possibilities, Exceptions, Solutions (ROPES), a discovering strengths tool.
- Employing strategies for building on the family’s strengths.