This course will provide employees with foundational information about sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.It will also provide an overview of the unique challenges LGBTQ+ members of the public and employees face, including: identity development, cultural intersectionality, managing stigma, stressors and risks, health and safety concerns, and employment and housing discrimination. It will also give participants the opportunity to explore their understanding and beliefs about the LGBTQ+ community.
- Understanding the unique challenges the LGBTQ+ public may face when interacting with county departments and employees.
- Identifying how stigma, prejudice, cultural intersectionality, and trauma impact the lives of LGBTQ+ individuals.
- Increasing awareness to become more culturally competent when working with LGBTQ+ public and co-workers.
- Creating a more respectful and culturally competent work environment for LGBTQ+ members of the public and employees.
- Recognizing and building ally skills with LGBTQ+ individuals and the community.