This course will be a dynamic, interactive and didactic experience focused on understanding common signs and symptoms of children’s mental health disorders, common misdiagnoses for children in the child welfare system and the most appropriate evidence-based interventions for each disorder.
After this class, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate why appropriate diagnoses and evidence-based interventions are important
- Identify common signs and symptoms of children’s mental health disorders, including DSM-V diagnostic criteria
- Be familiar with signs that a child may be misdiagnosed or over-diagnosed
- Understand overlap in symptoms between diagnoses and what to look for to differentiate between common diagnoses
- Distinguish common elements of effective treatments for children and how to assess whether children are receiving effective treatments
- Recognize interventions that are appropriate and evidence-based for each type of child mental health disorder