This interactive and participatory course introduces the funding of social services programs such as Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF/CalWORKs), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/CalFresh), Medicaid/Medi-Cal, Child Welfare Services, and In Home Supportive Services. The training covers the different levels of government that make policy and budget decisions – federal, state, and local. As a result of this training, participants will understand how different programs are funded by a combination of federal, state, and local taxes. They will understand how budgeting decisions are made and by whom, and how they can express their opinions to decision-makers.
- Learning major government-funded social services programs
- Reviewing different levels of government, and how funding decisions are made at each level
- Examining budget processes and decision-makers at each level of government
- Understanding how county social services departments are organized & operated
- Identifying what was learned and creating an Action Plan on how to apply it