Cultural Competence in Providing Adult Services
One or two days
This workshop presents information regarding cultural and social diversity that will help human service practitioners work more effectively with their clients and families. Issues of culture, race, gender, sexual orientation, social class and economic situation are explored.
* characteristics and strengths of all cultures
* aging in minority groups
* culturally competent service delivery
* areas of concern for the elder lesbian and gay population
* techniques for cross-cultural assessment and communication
* effective use of interpreters
* learning to avoid stereotyping
* cultural variations in perception of impairments
As a result of this workshop participants have increased awareness of other cultures and can work more effectively to resolve problems with their clients.